Ramin
When I can use WOULD? I am so confused to know when I can use the "would" word. Please give me some clues to understand it. Thanks.
4
0
I would like to know your name Would you like a drink 1.used for politeness 2,conditional tense I would have gone to school if it didn't rain 3 past tense of will She would run to school every morning
'Would' in english can be used in so many different ways, in the past, present and future, but it usually acts like 'will' in the past. For example when you want to say that you could do something in the future, but there's something on your way like: I would do my homework, but I'm too lazy. She would kill him for that if she could. I would never do that! (I could, but I don't want to) I would play with you if I was younger... You can also use it when you're thinking about something that could/you wish to happen in the future, also kinda like you're dreaming about it, or your plans: If I had a million dollars, I would buy myself a big house. You're so good at maths, you would be a great teacher. It would be nice to get a coffe now, don't you think? Would you slap your friend for 100 dollars? I would like to go on a movie today. When you want to ask someone politely about something: Would you like to go on a date with me? Would you do me a favour? Would you pass me the salt, please? When you want to say that you like one thing more than other like: I would rather go there with Susan than Nicole. I would prefer staying at home than go shopping And when we're talking about something that was said in the past but about the future Jack said he would come today. He never said that he would do that. I hope it will help you a little bit, but best you can do is practising a lot with many contexts of that word, It's not that hard, you will get that eventually.
Why would you want to use the word would? Would could be use to say if you intended to do something e.g. I would do it, but I can't. Would can also be used in a question to ask if something will do something e.g. Would you be able to meet me at 12? I believe would is the passive form of will: https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/would.html E.g. She will do it / She would have done it.
Ramin
English, French, Persian (Farsi)