Matt
Is it correct to say "to talk about work" in this context? It's not a meeting and it's not formal. It's just a chat between two colleagues which they talk about work and discuss the work. Can I just say "I'm going to talk about work with him after lunch." Or native speakers just say "I'm having a meeting with him" regardless of formality?
Perhaps "I'm gonna meet him after lunch to catch up on work".
1 I'm going to have a meeting with Fred: formal. 2 I'm going to meet Fred; informal If you and Fred are colleagues and also friends, think about why you are meeting: if it is to do work, it is at the office, your boss is entitled to know what you discuss, 1. If it is private, even if you just spend your time talking about your colleagues, 2. If you're going for a drink, you would probably just say you were going for a drink with him If you were meeting just to talk about work, you'd say you were going to talk about work with him, or maybe you were going for a drink to talk about work, etc.
I think if you say 'I am going to talk to him about work after lunch' then it kind of sounds like a specific meeting in which the purpose is to talk about work. Doesn't sound like a casual chat that just happens to take place and where you happen to talk about work. Your sentence sounds very specific.