Doris
How to start the conversation and establish friendship with English native people? I'm studying in Canada now. The school has only started for two weeks. I feel so frustrated about speaking English. Many times I try to speak English with my classmates, their smiling disappear immediately because they totally cannot understand what I was talking about. It was so easy to make new friends in my native language. Any recommend idea to improve this situation? Thanks.
18. Sept 2018 12:14
4
0
I agree completely with Naomi. I come from Minnesota in the US, and much of the culture there is similar to Canadian culture. The first few weeks of school can be terrifying and overwhelming for even native speakers, so it may be that their minds are preoccupied instead of that they are mean or cold people. I would highly suggest finding and joining a club or group on campus that interests you (community service, robotics, art, anything). Not only will get involved in something you enjoy, but you will have better opportunities to meet people who share your interest in a quiet and non-rushed setting. Also, it can look excellent on a resume! Best wishes to you, and "hang in there"!
18. September 2018
Canadians are usually friendly, just smile and say "Hello". Perhaps asking a simple question would be the best way to start a conversation. For example, "What do you think of ..... ", "Do you know where ......" or "Can you tell me how to ......". Just remember, the first few weeks at university are stressful and people have a lot on their minds. Everyone is feeling a bit awkward! Don't expect too much at first, and be confident that friendships will grow with time. Hope this advice from a Canadian is helpful.
18. September 2018
Doris