Lily
Which one of the following would you as BrE speaker use? motorway highway expressway freeway interstate
7
1
This is somewhat dependent on the region. * In the American northern Midwest, we use "freeway" in conversation when we say "I'm going to take the freeway to get to John's house." However, we use "highway" when giving the specific name of the road as in "I'm taking Highway 94 to get to John's house." Additionally, news reporters might offer more detail, "Interstate Highway 94 is congested with heavy traffic." * In the American Northeast, we almost never use "freeway," but instead "route," or "parkway." * I could be wrong, but I believe the other options are more common to use in England and other countries that are more heavily influenced by British English.
Motorway is common and normal to use for three or more lane roads separated by a central reservation. Expressway, freeway and interstate, none of these are used in the UK with any frequency at all. 'Highway' is used in some contexts, like referring to the 'Highway Code', the rules of the road when driving in the UK. And of course, there is the phrase 'my way or the highway' which is in common usage. But 'motorway' would always be preferred when just referring to the road itself. By the way, a two lane road with a central reservation is called a 'dual carriageway' in the UK. If there is no central reservation it's a single carriageway. Country roads are often referred to as A or B roads, depending on the particular name of the road.
Motorway. The rest are American. We also have dual carriageway which is a highway with two lanes in each direction.
Lily
Arabic, English, French