Wilf
How do Arabic defective verbs work? I am in the process of getting my head round Arabic verbs but I simply cannot understand defective verbs such as مشى or doubled verbs such as ردّ. They always confuse me and none of my resources really help. If anyone has any ways of explaining this clearly, I would be very grateful. Thank you!
4
0
A full explanation of defective verbs is probably too long to fit in an answer here. I recommend you take a look at the following page: http://allthearabicyouneverlearnedthefirsttimearound.com/p2/p2-ch1/defective-verbs-form-i/ This page (and the website in general) has the best explanation of the Arabic verb system that I’ve ever seen in my life. It explains not just *how* the verbs are conjugated, but *why* they’re conjugated that way. The full site is free and goes through all of the verb types (normal, hollow, defective, assimilated, double) and all of the verb forms (I through X). If you work through it all you will be well on your way to mastering Arabic. Other than that, you just need to practice. Fully write out the conjugations for two or three verbs of different types every day, and within a few weeks you will have the whole system memorized.
singular verb in the past = ردّ , doubled verb in the past= ردّا . singular verb in the past = مشى , doubled verb in the past= مشيا can you please explain what you mean by (defective verbs)?
I wish you good luck in learning Arabic but why do you get into its details while you can learn simply.
Wilf
Arabic, English, French, German, Hungarian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili
Arabic, French, German, Hungarian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Swahili