Pelin
Can I use these interchangeably? I'm sorry I couldn't help you. / I'm sorry I wasn't be able to help you. I wish you had told me you you were full. / I wish you had told me you had eaten.
Almost. I'm sorry I couldn't help you. / I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you. "be" removed :) I wish you had told me you were full. / I wish you had told me you had eaten. one "you" removed Almost. "full" means eaten and cannot eat more. "eaten" does not imply eating a lot. It uisually means had a meal, so assumed to mean adequately. . As a consequence these would be used differently. Have you eaten? asks whether you have had a meal, equivalent to being hungry. So you might ask a friend arriving about a meal time. . Are you full? Makes little sense for a friend just arriving. Instead, equivalent to asking whether they have eaten anough, hence as when offering even more food. . So, Difficult to create a situation when you would need to use "I wish you had told me you were full. ":) As if you had been trying to get them to eat more for an hour and failed.
I'm sorry I couldn't help you. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you. I'm sorry I won't be able to help you. Is OK but we would usually qualify it with a time at the end I'm sorry I won't be able to help you, next week/tomorrow. I'm sorry I won't be able to help you with your homework/decorating/ cleaning (whatever). if you had to break a promise. The next two are OK in colloquial use, but they will create confusing debate amongst teachers and people who use different phraseology. I wish you had told me you you were full. I wish you had told me you had eaten. Why didn't you say you had already eaten. Natural way. You should have told me you were full. (still causes confusing answers from teachers and people who phrase differently). You should have told me you were full, that you had already eaten. (we explain the sentence at the end, they had already eaten')
Yes, those are equivalent expressions. correction: Im sorry I wasn't able to help you. (you don't need 'be')