Dariana
What does "cool in a completely offhand way " mean? Hi! While reading a book, I came across a phrase I didn't quite understand : to be cool in an offhand way. What does it mean? It seems to me it is like being cool without any particular effort - not creating the image of a cool person but just naturallly being one... Am I right? And one more question: what can " Reel it in a few hundred miles" mean? This phrase was said to two girls who were having a fight
8
0
Reel it in : Meaning don't bother, calm down.
You are correct, again. Being cool without any obvious effort, without seeming to try, as if cool, was simply what you are. . Keep being right in this offhand way. :) . Reel - from fishing and such, where you have a line that goes out & is collected back in, onto a reel. . It is saying that something is too much, too far, too big. . Something one said, or their attitide is being commented on. They are being told to back off, suggest less, accuse less, whatever the conversation is about.. Basically, a statement that thei attitude should be controlled and less aggressive. . The "few hundred miles" is just suggestion that they are by a long way excessive.
"offhand" means without thinking or preparing too much. Something impromptu, or casual and effortless. The second phrase sounds unusual, but in this context it probably means "You are really, really out of control, so control yourselves. Bring your angry emotions under control (and stop fighting each other)". When you are fishing and catch a fish with your fishing line, at first the fish is far away and is moving around a lot and struggling. When you reel it in (наматывать леску на катушку), you are bringing the fish closer to you so it can no longer move around.
Dariana
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Russian