echofloating
What is the right answer ? I have two questions: 1.The question ( ) me ! A. beats B. defeats The answer is B, why is A not correct ? 2.My day started just like all the other days for the past 15 years WHERE I get up, make some coffee, shower, get dressed and leave for the train station precisely 7:35 A.M. to arrive at work by 8:30. Why did the writer use WHERE instead of WHEN ? Thank you so much for your help.
1. I think that the answer should be 'beats'. The phrase "xxx beats me!" is a set expression, equivalent to "I give up!". 'Defeats' isn't entirely wrong, but it's less likely. 2. 'When' usually refers to a precise time. 'Where', on the other hand, can refer to a more general situation. In this example, the writer is describing their lifestyle and daily routine, so 'where' is fine.
Hello, im not too sure what the first question is asking, but the second one should be when. Not sure why the answer you have says where, but it is definitely when.. And reading the first one again, its a slang term, means beats me !! It means i dont know, or i have no idea. Sounds like your answer source may be wrong.. But, i want to add , both questions have other grammar errors, but i didnt want to confuse you and mention that... It is definitely not a native speaker writing this.