sunsun
Stress-shift and stress-weakening Hello! Can anybody please tell me how to identify stress-shift or stress-weakening on the next collocations? - fascinating discovery - academic career - significant variation - unreliable indicator - artificial intelligence - embarrasing situation p.s. I don't need the answers, I want to know how to identify if they are affected by stress-shift or stress-weakening :( please please pleaseHi! According to the book that my teacher is making us to read stress shift is “a process by which speakers delete a primary stress in only to comply with regular English rythim” and stress weakening is the same process but deleting the secondary stress. Nanren, stresses in verbs and nouns is related with the topic (accentuation) but is not the subtopic that I need to understand which is stress shift and stress weakening :( That’s all the info I have :( p.s. the collocations are taken from an item of a mock test that my Phonetics teacher gave us to practice for the real test.
4
0
Hi! According to the book that my teacher is making us to read stress shift is “a process by which speakers delete a primary stress in only to comply with regular English rythim” and stress weakening is the same process but deleting the secondary stress. Nanren, stresses in verbs and nouns is related with the topic (accentuation) but is not the subtopic that I need to understand which is stress shift and stress weakening :( That’s all the info I have :( p.s. the collocations are taken from an item of a mock test that my Phonetics teacher gave us to practice for the real test.
http://thesoundofenglish.org/verb-noun-stress-shift/ says Some words can be a noun or a verb without changing their spelling. Many of these words experience stress shift – their stress changes. When they are nouns, the first syllable is stressed. When they are verbs, the second is stressed. An example is A. “I’m fascinated by the subject of this painting.” B. “I can’t believe how you can subject the viewer to this, to be honest.”Audio Player Between the noun (first line) and verb (second line) the stress changes. Is this related? Do you have a case when this happens in adjective noun phrases?
In line with Gary's question. You say you have the answers for your examples. Can you give them for us and we may be able to explain them. I do agree with Gary. Whne I say these words separately, as far as I can tell I say them exactly the same as I do when they are together.
To be honest, I don't know what you mean. I did a search for stress-shift, and only found mention of stress shifting in words. As far as I know, we don't change stress in collocations. I've just said them, and can't see any shift with collocation. Can you point me to a reference that says we do?
sunsun