Lily
Which of these would (or wouldn't) you use in your variety of English? Thank you! pass mark(s) / passing mark(s) passing grade(s) fail grade(s)/ failing grade(s) full mark/ top score/ perfect score
10
0
Hi Lily, In British English we would use 'pass mark' not 'passing mark'. We might use the expressions with 'grade' but not very often. We are more likely to say that someone hasn't achieved the pass mark. We talk about 'full marks' (not 'mark'), top score and perfect score. I hope that helps! Steve
US: Passing grade & failing grade. We would probably not use "mark," but it would be easily understood if we read or heard it. As to full mark/top score/perfect score: I would never use "full mark." However, I might use "full credit" that you had a perfect score or that the assignment is considered complete. Context would tell you which one was meant. For example: "I cannot give you full credit for this answer, because you were asked to give your answer in feet and inches, not meters. You will get partial credit of 7/8 rather than the full credit of 8/8." or "The class assignment was to write a sonnet. I gave full credit to everyone who turned in anything with 14 lines, though some of your rhyme schemes were dreadful." "Top score" would mean that you had the best score in the class, not necessarily the best score possible. Perfect score would mean the best score possible. (e.g., the teacher gives a really hard test with 10 questions. No one gets all 10 right, so no one has a "perfect score." But one person does get 7 right. That person has the "top score.")
As an American English speaker, we use passing grade, failing grade, and a perfect score. The term 'mark' is never used here.
In the United States we would probably not use the phrases "pass mark" or "fail grade." "Full marks" would be understood but sounds British to me. I will give example sentences of how we might use all of the others. "Score" or "points" is usually use for an individual quiz or exam or test. "Grade" could be used for either an exam or a whole course." "She got passing marks in Physics." "She got a passing mark in Physics." "You got the right answer to this question, but I can't give you a full score on it because the question said to 'show your work' and you didn't." "She passed Physics." "At MIT, they liked to use very hard questions on tests. I've taken tests in which 30% was a passing grade." "She got the top score on the test." (Usually this means "a higher score than anybody else.") "She got a perfect score." (This means the highest score possible, 100 on a 100-point test). Informally, we might say "I aced the test" (got a perfect or near-perfect score) and "I flunked the test" (failed).
Lily
Arabic, English, French