Ksenia
Why the Future Simple is used in "as you'll remember" and "you'll recall" in the text below? Why the Future Simple is used in the expressions "as you'll remember" and "you'll recall" in the text piece below? Why not "as you remember" and "you recall"? In this lesson, we're going to look further at the life of Napoleon. As you'll remember, Napoleon was probably one of the greatest military leaders in history. In the class last week, we studied his earlier life, until about 1808, and now we'll look at events from about 1 808 until his death. By 1808, you'll recall, Napoleon had crowned himself Emperor of the first French Empire.
It isn't a future simple. The modal 'will' has many functions that are unrelated to future time. Here, 'will' is used to imply a confident assumption on the part of the speaker. As Michael says, it's the same function as when we say "Don't call her now - she'll be busy". By "you'll remember", the speaker is saying "I am sure that you remember". It goes without saying that the speaker can't actually know that people in the audience remember this fact, but they are politely assuming that this is the case. This why they use 'will'. A similar example is the way that we add "as you'll appreciate" when we are giving a reason for a refusal. It's a polite expression of (near) certainty about another person's reaction.
I am no grammarian, so bow to Michael's knowledge regarding this. I would just add that when I see that form of grammar, it is subtly communicating to me that the students taking the lesson have already learnt about Napoleon and this lesson is building on prior knowledge. If I say to someone, - you will remember that Japanese has three scripts, then I am saying, we already discussed this, you already know this piece of information, and now we are going to build on that knowledge to learn something additional. In everyday speech it is common to drop the 'will' part and just say 'you remember I told you about my sister, well she is coming to visit next week. In a more formal setting (like a classroom or business meeting), the 'will' part is included. You'll recall the difficulty we had with the last shipment from China..". It is a sort of memory jogger device. I hope that helps.
This is a particular usage of "will" to indicate present certainty. This is briefly mentioned in English Grammar in Use (Cambridge, Murphy). See unit 22C. It sounds natural in this case "as you'll remember". The Murphy also book gives the example of "Don't call her now - she'll be busy". It's an area of English grammar that's a little special and so it's worth making a note of times when you think you see this usage of "will" and researching similar sentences in order to feel the meaning and context better.
I don't think it is future simple. I think it is using 'will' more as an imperative, similar to 'must'. I don't think the intention is quite as assertive as that though. It's a quite old style, so I'm not that familiar with how it was used.