Edi Wang
I met a weird sentence, please could anyone help me? Many children learn languages for practical reasons (talking to relatives, school trips, holidays) and being able to survive in another country could be can mean the difference between being an ordinary tourist or someone who can navigate a destination with confidence and interact with the locals. This sentence is extracted from italki's article--back to school series, there are 2 points make me confused. 1. could be can mean This is the weirdest point to me, how could it have a double auxiliaries 'could' and 'can'? and how could a redundant (I assumed)Be verb appeared here? 2. the conjunction following 'between' Usually, it will be a conjunction 'and' followed behind 'between', but here uses 'or' instead in the scenario. The question is what's the difference and is it normal here? thanks beforehand.
In both cases, they are mistakes. Probably the first one is an editing mistake "could be" or "can mean". The editor has changed the first to the second but not deleted the first. In the second case, "between" comes with "and", not "or". You could tell Italki - it would be a nice gesture.
Thanks for your accurate reminding. wish you a good mood.
Good job noticing that Edi. One small thing - we don't generally use 'met' unless it is a person - I met a strange man yesterday. In this case - I came across a weird sentence sounds more natural.