Zach
What is the difference between “ด” and “ต”? I don’t really hear a difference. According to the respective characters in IPA, they are different sounds, but I really don’t HEAR the difference. Should I be able to?
Zach, for me the ต is an explosive "t" sound, which we don't have in English. It requires the tongue to press harder on the roof of the mouth, behind the teeth. If you think of people whose mother tongue is Spanish, you may hear them pronouncing the "t" in English with a more explosive sound. That is the ต sound in Thai. The same is true for ป which is an explosive "p" sound, which we don't have in English. Don't worry if you don't hear the difference for now. It will come with practice.
ด is D sound and ต/ท is T sound
Nvm, I hear the difference I think; thanks!
Those are the same sounds... lol
"ด" sounds like "d" as dig, duck.. "ต" sounds almost like "th" as think, thank.. BUT your tip of the tongue will be behind your upper teeth. Makes sense ? Trying my best to explain it in easiest way. ^^"