Sasha
I heard shouting in the distance but I don't know who was shouting. In a sentence written by Michael Chambers "shouting" is a gerund or a verbal noun? "I heard shouting in the distance but I don't know who was shouting." Thank you!
13
0
Neither of those is a gerund. The first is a noun ( as in 'I heard music'/ 'I heard shouting') and the second is a present participle.
For more information, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verbal_noun Verbal noun is a category. Gerund in a subcategory within verbal nouns. As for the example: "I heard shouting in the distance but I don't know who was shouting." A shout = noun to shout = verb (infinitive) I heard shouting ... (gerund which functions as a noun). As a check, replace the gerund with a noun. I heard a noise. I heard noises. (= this works, so shouting is a gerund) I heard a shout. I heard shouts. (= this works, so shouting is a gerund) ... who was shouting (present participle used in the present continuous) As a check, replace the participle with noun. ... who was a noise ... (= this doesn't work, so shouting is not a gerund but a participle) ... who was a shout ... (= this doesn't work, so shouting is not a gerund but a participle)
**
Sasha
English, French, Russian, Ukrainian