KellyXu
there is a luxury in admitting my extremity??? I may perhaps mention here that very recently I had come an ugly cropper2 in certain business enterprises. At the present moment, surrounded by all the circumstances of wealth, there is a luxury in admitting my extremity. I can even admit that to a certain extent my disasters were conceivably of my own making. It may be there are directions in which I have some capacity; the conduct of business operations is not among these. But in those days I was young, and my youth, among other objectionable forms, took that of a pride in my capacity for affairs. I would like to know what does "there is a luxury in admitting my extremity" here mean. Thanks.
First of all, I do not recommend this book as a study aid. The language is too formal and unusual for modern readers. "Extremity" here means difficult (financial) situation. The whole sentence means that it appears excessive to say to others that he is in a difficult financial situation when they can see that he has expensive possessions.