Kyouko
What does duplexes mean ? I got confused how to use duplexes in the sentence. Although duplexes is the plural of duplex, how I can use this word in the sentence is impossible. For example, We have duplexes apartment in this area. We have a duplex apartment in this area. Their meaning are same to me.
I think I see why this might be confusing. A duplex is the building itself. It's a home that is divided into two apartment units. For singular you might say, "I rent an apartment in a duplex in this area", or "I have a duplex apartment in this area". If I own multiple buildings that are divided into duplexes I would say, "I have duplexes in this area", or "I have duplex apartments in this area." I hope this helps and isn't more confusing!
We have duplex apartments in this area = we have more than one duplex apartment in this area. We have a duplex apartment in this area = we have just one duplex apartment in this area. Also: the woman planned to build five duplex apartments in the area.