Şervan Kurdî
Skip through I do hope you’re not fibbing, Mummy. I can tell the difference. My nose is quite discriminating.” “Fibbing? That is ludicrous. I assure you the car has been thoroughly fumigated today.” “Thank you, Mummy. Aren’t you going to ask why I am late?” “No, darling.” “Very well, then. Now, if you don’t mind, I would very much appreciate a quarrel and subsequent grounding. Perhaps one that lasted the entire summer, or if necessary, even longer.” What does she mean by "I would very much appreciate a quarrel and subsequent grounding"? Thanks a lot in advance
3
0
Hi Servan, The child is expecting to receive harsh words and a punishment for being late. When the mummy says "No darling", the child responds by requesting the harsh words and punishment. Basically, the child is saying to the mother "I am expecting a fight with you and to be grounded". To be grounded means to have rights and privileges removed. A typical grounding might include... no smartphone use for 24 hours, or no visiting with friends for a period of time. It is the same as a "time out".. just for older children such as teenagers. I hope this helps, Stephen
Şervan Kurdî
English, Korean, Kurdish, Persian (Farsi)
Korean