Sasha
Did I do it correctly? Have I determined the syntactical functions of the gerund correctly? Exercise 296. Read the following sentences and determine the syntactical functions of the gerund 1. In those precious moments, he often explained to her why art was the only thing worth doing, in a world of chaos, the only thing that had any possibility of enduring. (doing – gerund functions as an object, enduring- gerund is used in the function of an attribute to noun “possibility”). 2. Teddy had already learned that there were certain laws that she could break without being reprimanded just because she knew she was the darling of the family. (being reprimanded – gerund functions as a prepositional object to a verb). 3. She never admitted it to anyone but she was terrified of flying. (flying – gerund functions as a prepositional object to adjectives). 4. When he looked at the painting, he had the sudden sensation of being picked up by a pair of great strong hands and set down under a new horizon.(being picked up – gerund functions as an attribute to a noun sensation). 5. For two years Lionel dedicated himself to learning his new trade. (learning – gerund functions as a prepositional object to a verb). 6. Don’t make a mistake of not taking him seriously, he is dangerous. (taking – gerund functions as an attribute to a noun mistake). 7. The old lady looked refreshed in spite of not having slept the previous night. (not having slept - gerund functions as an Adverbial Modifier of Concession). 8. She had a feeling of being on top of a gentle hill in the centre of a great open place. (being - gerund functions as an attribute to a noun feeling). 9. He must apologize for having intruded upon you, Professor Rockton. (having intruded - gerund functions as a prepositional object to a verb). 10. He was well liked by the neighbours and he had the reputation of being a very learned man. (being - gerund functions as an attribute to a noun reputation). 11. I upset all their plans by refusing to come. (refusing - gerund functions as an Adverbial Modifier of Manner) 12. On seeing me on the other side of the street he shouted to me. (seeing - gerund functions as an Adverbial Modifier of Time).
2
0
I feel horrible that this question currently remains unanswered. I will leave it for someone who studied English, unless it continues to go unanswered. In that case, I promise I will figure it out and reply with detail. I am impressed!
Sasha
English, French, Russian, Ukrainian