Paulina
Some tips to improve pronunciation? I have this goal for the next 6 months
13
1
From my experience, the first thing to do is listen. Listen to the speakers who have the accent that you want to have. Repeat some phrases after them, record your voice and compare. Keep in mind that the position of your tongue and lips is very important(which is often overlooked). And don't forget to work on your intonation, sometimes it's more important than the pronunciation itself.
Elizabeth has mentioned some key points such as tongue and lips position, to which I would add the way you use your jaw and even how you breathe (for certain sounds). You literally have to retrain your articulatory system if you wish to articulate sounds clearly and accurately, though this is something many people are too lazy to even try. Along with intonation, stress (where you put the emphasis in a word or sentence), rhythm and connected speech also come into play once you reach a certain stage - it will make you sound more natural and will help you a great deal when it comes to understanding native English speakers. At the end of the day, it all depends on how much effort you are willing to put in, your natural ability, your love for the language and also your mother tongue. I can see yours is Spanish, as is mine. Just to give you an example, there are 5 vowel sounds in Spanish and no fewer than 12 in English, so you get the idea.
Hi Paulina, There are many ways to increase pronunciation. 1. Listen and repeat. Listen to short sayings and phrases and then repeat them . YouTube has great resources specifically for ESL. 2. Listen to music in English. The Beatles and Sting are recognized for writing lyrics that support ESL learning. 3. Practice words and phrases in the mirror. See yourself pronounce the words. 4. Secure an English speaking practice partner. 5. Podcasts. Just absorb some well spoken English. 6. I've got others. Have a great day, Stephen
You should watch English movies or shows so that you would be able to hear the correct pronunciation. Eventually, you'd pick it up
Learn and practice IPA.
Paulina
English, Italian, Spanish