Daisy
I thought I'd left the stove on. What doét it mean A: You remember your revolver? B: Oh, knew I'd forgotten something. I thought I'd left the stove on (From SHERLOCK HOLMES 2009) Did B mean he left the revolver on the stove?
Hi, Daisy! Nope, it means that the speaker B thought he had forgotten to switch off the stove (had left the stove on-left it heating/operating), but he was wrong, as he realized (after being asked by A ) that he had forgotten to take his revolver with him. So, it was bringing his revolver ( not switching off the stove) that he actually had forgotten. Hope it'll help.
No, it means that A reckons far more important not to leave behind a revolver than a stove on. Therefore A and B are in all likelihood embarking theirselves on a perilous mission.
He knew that he had forgotten something, but he wasn't sure what it was that he had forgotten. So he thought: "Maybe what I forgot was to turn off the stove." But it was the revolver, instead.