Camilo Martins
Small question When shall I use "the other" and "another"?
3
0
Hello Camilo. Take a look at these two sentences: - The police are still looking for another suspect, Marcus Bascus, 19. - The police are still looking for the other suspect, Marcus Bascus, 19. In the first of the two sentences, we don't know how many suspects there are; but in the the second of the two sentences the implication is that there are probably two suspects and the police are looking for the second of the pair. Now look at these two sentences: - Let's go to the other coffee shop. - Let's go to another coffee shop. In which sentence do I know which coffee shop I want to go to? And in which sentence do I simply want to go to a different coffee shop? Let me know if you still need help. :-)
And if you're still stuck, you might want to take a look at this: - https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/other-others-the-other-or-another All the best, G.
Camilo Martins
English, Portuguese