Sun
What's the difference between 'look like S V' and look (that) S V'? As far as I know, It should be used in different styles like this: 1) He looks tired. 2) He looks like a pickpocketer. 3) He looks that he has gotten so stressed. But, I was told it's okay to use 'look like S V', that's why I feel really confused. I appreciate your help in advance.
8
0
1 and 2 are correct. 'look that' as used in 3 is not a valid usage, 'as if' would work instead. 3 is only a partial sentence; you could perhaps complete it as something like "He looks as if he has got so stressed that he might resign". There are a few options for using 'look that', but they are unrelated to the original use you had in mind, and are quite unusual. For example i) 'that' as a synonym for 'so', common in Northern English speech: instead of "He looks so stressed he might resign" you could say "He looks that stressed he might resign". ii) as an imperative, meaning 'ensure that': "Look that you don't get too stressed".
He looks as if he's stressed. and I was trying to express 'subject and verbs-full sentence' as 'S V'
What's "S V"?
He looks that he has gotten so stressed. Incorrect. Can you say this another way, so we can see what you are trying to say? He looks as if he is stressed? He looks as if he is very stressed? He looks stressed?
Oh, I just wanna describe overall clauses.
Sun
English, Indonesian, Korean, Russian