Tâm
Can I say? I want to repeat someone else's words. So can I say: 1 He pointed to her and asked me who was this? 2 I point to a person, then can I say "He asked me who was this?" Thank you!
15
1
Hello Tam, I think you want to say: - He pointed to her and asked me, "Who was that?". - He asked me who that was. Some explanations and exercises here: - https://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/courses/elc/studyzone/490/grammar/reported-speech.htm I hope that helps.
He pointed to her and asked me who is this? She is still present in the room so needs present tense. But probably better to say 'who is she?' He pointed to her and asked me who is she? He asked me who is she? She is still present, she hasn't gone.
Who is this. He pointed to her and asked me who is this? it has to be WHO is this / this = he or she, when they are there with you in same room or on the street. He cannot point at them in the Past (was) and say "who is that" , "who was that" <-- this would apply only after a person had walked by in the street, or came into a room and then left/exited. You could say after pointing to the door or in the direction of the person, that has gone by. "who was that". = the person in the past has exited or walked by. This is called tense agreement, where English is explained with English, and not present/ simple perfect etc. that confuses natives and learners. He can point at them if they are still present (IS) and towards them if they are no longer present (WAS).
Great question, Tam.
Tâm
English, Vietnamese