Sasha
Professional Teacher
Past Simple versus Past Continuous Hello , everyone! Could you help me with the task below? Which is/are correct or normal: A, B, (C) or both /all three? Write your answer on the answer sheet. 18. When Andrew came into my life, I (A moved B was moving) from one dead-end job to another, without much idea of what I really wanted in life. On the one hand I can see 2 consequtive actions here. Andrew came into my life - I moved from one dead-end job to another. On the other hand I guess it is also possible to assume that When he came into my life a process was going on in my life, i.e. I was moving from one dead-end job to another. Since the instruction suggests that both answers can be correct or normal maybe this is the case. What do you think?
Hello Sasha. Tricky, that one. Your logic is sound, but I don't think it sounds idiomatic when you use the simple past. In this sentence, with a few tweaks, Andrew is the cause of the employment-related ennui: - After Andrew came into my life, I began to move from one dead-end job to another, without much idea of what I really wanted in life. In this one, he may actually be the person who saves the writer from the sorry state of affairs: - When Andrew came into my life, I was moving from one dead-end job to another, without much idea of what I really wanted in life. So in relation to the test, I would say both are possible, grammatically; but the second -- the past continuous form -- makes more sense in terms of the semantics. Take your pick. ;-)
I agree with Gareth - both meanings are possible but different and that the past continuous is more natural. This is a narrative and the writer seems to be setting the scene connected to a particular period. This suggests the past continuous. If there was a sequence in the past simple, the words "once" or "as soon as" would better indicate this than "when", which is a more general idea.