Mai
UK always is used with ''the''? (the UK) I'm looking at the sample answer for a writing essay from my textbook. The essay is described a chart which shows the expenditure of two countries(France and UK) on consumer goods in 2010. There is a sentence '' the UK spent more money on consumer goods than France in the period given.'' I always to use UK with ''the'' when I talk about UK. Ex) The UK has a lot of attractive places. Not only ''UK''? Thank you :)
As Nanren said - yes, you do need 'The' in front of UK. To answer this thoroughly, would be complicated, as there are some countries that do, but with most you don't. You could read a through answer here: https://ell.stackexchange.com/questions/24622/using-the-before-some-countries The other answer here was simplistic, and in fact quite wrong, which is why I put a sarcastic comment...
"the" comes before nouns- (animal, place, person, thing) "the" helps to communicate which thing you're talking about, similar to words like "this", "my", and "all". And they're confusing to a lot of English learners.
Thank you Nanren :)
The United Kingdom.
Never just "UK". So much so, that I found reading your question challenging. :)