Jang Joonggun
put it up anyway Text: Well, let's just, um, put it up anyway . . . Q: When I want to close the topic and talk about another topic can I say 'put it up'? That kind of meaning is not in the dic.Full text: Professor: I'II tell you a story about how one astronomy problem was solved. It happened many years ago, but you'll see that it's interesting and still relevant. Two, three hundred years ago, astronomers already had telescopes, but they were not as powerful as those we have now. Let's say, they were at the level of telescopes amateur astronomers use today. Tell me, what do you see in the night sky when you use a telescope like that? Quick, tell me. Female student: Planets? Professor: Right. Male student: Even like the moons of Jupiter? Professor: Right. Female student: Stars. Professor: OK, what else? You think that's all? Ever heard of nebulae? I bet you have… well, let's just, um, put it up anyway. Nebulae are small fuzzy patches you see in the sky, they look like little clouds. Many of them have a spiral shape, and that's why we called them spiral nebulae. So astronomers in the eighteenth century, eighteenth century, when they looked through the telescope, they could see planets-and they knew those were planets, the moons of Jupiter and they knew they were the moons of Jupiter and then they saw spiral nebulae and they didn't have a clue. -From TOEFL listening
9
0
Where I am at in the United States, on the east coast, I've never heard anyone use 'put it up' in that way. Usually, if I want to change the topic, I'll say "In other news..." or "Anyway..." Sometimes, if it's a topic that you want to talk about at another time, you can say "Let's put this on the back burner for now," or "Let's shelve this discussion for another day." These are just a couple that I personally use, but I'm sure other people can offer more examples. Anyway, I hope this helps! :')
"Put it up" is a colloquial metaphor to put an idea in writing or to record the idea or theory. An example in your context: In many business meeting and other professional meetings, they used to post or "Put Up" their discussions and findings onto a bulletin board or other chart. In transition to another topic, you may say "let's put it up" or take note that the point was valid. If you want to revisit the idea to determine the validity to feasibility, you would say, "let's table that idea." In American English, to table something means to postpone discussion on something. It might mean to postpone it indefinitely, but usually it just means that the discussion should be resumed at a later date. (As others have pointed out, in British English it means the exact opposite. https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/16285/what-is-the-meaning-of-the-expression-we-can-table-this
Good. I got the point.
My guess. More simple. The professor is creating a list, say on the whiteboard, where people can see it. As you say something, he puts it up on the list on the board. . put it up - include in some mounted frame, position, noticeboard . What should I do with this poster of nebulae? Put it up on the wall, over there next to the potato clock.
Jang Joonggun