saeiiiid
Which one is corect Dear native speakers Which one of the following sentences is grammatically OK when you wanna ask about the number of sth? 1) What is the number of endangered animals? 2) How many endanered animals are there? 1 or 2 or both of them? And if you wanna convey the same meaning, how do you naturally put it in English? Thanks in advance
4
0
It depends on the context. No matter what you are talking about both are ok the second is more natural. If you wanted to know the number of a specific animal, for instance pandas, you would say "How many endangered animals are there?" or "How many endangered pandas are there?" However, if you what to know how many types of animals there are endangered (pandas, lions, birds, and so on) you would say "How many endangered species are there?"
Both are correct. The second one sounds more natural to me in most situations. I'm sorry I can't really explain it well grammatically. If I had to guess it's because the phrasing changes what you emphasize, the 'How many' of the 'endangered animals' as opposed to the 'What' of the 'number'.
Native speakers do not refer to endangered animals but endangered SPECIES. Change one to the other and it is ok
Both sentence are correct. It depends on context you use. But I'm not native speaker
saeiiiid
English, Persian (Farsi)