Pistachio
Which of these sentences does make sense in BrE and AmE? - A (shopkeeper) brought $540 of oranges to sell in her (shops.) - A (shopkeeper) brought $540 of oranges to sell in her (stores.) - A (storekeeper) brought $540 of oranges to sell in her (stores.) Thanks in advance.
5
0
Hi, in British English we generally talk about a shopkeeper, but storekeeper would be understood. The first sentence would therefore be normal British usage. But I think you mean bought, not brought! I hope that helps Steve
US: 1. "Storekeeper" sounds weird. 2. Either "store" or "shop" is fine. They are mostly interchangeable. "Shop" implies a small-to-medium sized place where people sell things, while "store" does not give an indication of the size of the establishment. But in this instance, either would be perfectly fine. 3. I would likely say "$540 worth of oranges"
Pistachio
Arabic, English, Italian, Spanish, Turkish
English, Turkish