Dariana
What does "the ledge was sliding back into the building" mean in the following sentence? Getting into college was the first step toward the rest of my life and “the rest of my life” was the sort of phrase that appeared on all of the college websites, where I’d tried to ignore it because thinking about the rest of my life made me feel like I was standing on a ledge fifty stories up and the ledge was sliding back into the building.
2
0
It is a reference to a structure that is used in game shows. The competitors have to walk along a ledge that is sticking out of a wall, or some other structure. The ledge can move back and forth, and after some time, it usually slides backwards into the wall. So - instead of making a path that is (say) 300mm deep, it becomes 250mm, then 200mm, then... In the competition, the competitor has two choices - move to the next ledge, or fall off. In this scenario, there is just the inevitability of eventually falling.
Dariana
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Russian