Berny
Capitalization after colon (:) I read an article about the capitalization after the colon. It said the following: If the following phrase is a complete (independent) clause, you may choose to capitalize it or not. Does it mean It's up to me either I capitalize it or not? (In American English) Would you explain it, please?
1
0
Yes, you can choose to capitalize it or not, but it must be a full sentence on its own, not just a partial sentence. For example: "Apple is the world's most successful company: the iPhone is a major reason for Apple's success." or, "Apple is the world's most successful company: The iPhone is a major reason for Apple's success." However, you cannot capitalize the second phrase in this example: "Apple is the world's most successful company: the iPhone is a major reason." (because the second phrase is not a complete sentence) You should also always capitalize a quoted phrase after a colon, e.g.: She gave me an ultimatum: "Either he goes or I go!"
Berny
English, French, Spanish