zuotengdazuo
What does “pretty trick” mean? “My lord, have you forgotten who I am?” His breath smelled of ale and onions. “Must I speak to the queen? A word from Her Grace and I can have this wildling girl delivered naked to the hall for our inspection.” That would be a pretty trick, even for a queen. “The queen would never presume upon our hospitality,” Jon said, hoping that was true. “Now I fear I must take my leave, before I forget the duties of a host. Lord Tycho, pray excuse me.” Excerpt From A Dance with Dragons, novel Hi. What does “pretty trick” mean? And could you give me the dictionary definition for the two words in this context respectively here? Thank you.
1
0
Hi, This is a usual but weird use of the word pretty. In this case it means, highly or superior. For exmple; That's a pretty cool jacket you are wearing. The jacket is highly cool. What your sentence is saying is that if successful, this trick would be a superior trick, in deed. Even for a queen. Regarding looking things up for you, in the dictionary. Sorry. That's not how one learns. There is a link to an online dictionary. https://www.dictionary.com/ Have a great day, Stephen
zuotengdazuo
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese