mayllt
what does " you considered yourself above anything like that."here mean? While the afternoon passed he remained at her side. Finally Ailie came over to me and whispered, with a laugh: "He's following me around. He thinks I haven't paid my carfare." She turned quickly. Miss Kitty Preston, her face curiously flustered, stood facing us. "Ailie Calhoun, I didn't think it of you to go out and delib'ately try to take a man away from another girl."--An expression of distress at the impending scene flitted over Ailie's face.--"I thought you considered yourself above anything like that."
4
0
"To consider oneself above something" means to believe one is too good (in status, class, morals, et cetera) to behave in a certain way. It relates generally to the concept of status being vertical (eg. high class, low class). In this instance, the speaker is saying that they had presumed that Ailie Calhoun had an image of herself that wouldn't cohere with a " low" act like stealing a man from another woman.
It means that I thought you were better than that. I thought you had a better opinion of yourself
mayllt