Yukari
Professional Teacher
For whom/for which/whose in speech (please respond only if you're a native English speaker) Hi! I'd like to know how native English speakers say the following sentence in a casual conversation. " The company for whom/ for which I recently provided the translation suddenly contacted me." 1) Would you say to a friend the same as above, or would you rather say " the company (that) I recently provided the translation for suddenly contacted me."? 2) And how about "whose"? Do you use that often in a casual conversation?Do you say for example, " I forgot the name of the artist whose exhibition I've been to last week"? Or is there a better/simpler way of saying that in conversation? I started to have doubts on such simple things that I'd never ever questioned before, after learning their French equivalent "pour laquelle/dont/avec qui/à quoi" etc!! I'd appreciate help from English native speakers. Thanks!
8
2
Hi Yukari! 1) We would generally use "which" here. Which refers to a thing or an idea, and to also ask about choices. In this case it is in reference to the translation. When "who" is the object of a verb, "whom" can be used instead, but it is formal and rather old-fashioned! 2) Whose refers to ownership and is used in casual conversation for sure, for example: "Whose bag is this?" "There's the student whose asked a question about who, whom and whose!"
.-
"I forgot the name of the artist whose exhibition I've been to last week" You would most likely not hear a sentence like this in a real conversation. At least not in the US, where I live. It would be more common to hear something like: "You know, the exhibition I went to last week, I completely forgot the name of the artist." or "I went to this exhibition last week and can't remember the name of the artist anymore".
Good spot! I made a mistake there. Lee, thank you for correcting me!
Yukari
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese
French, German