Sasha
Could you please give me some examples with be ignorant of doing something? Hello, everybody! Could you please give me some examples where the gerund is used as a prepositional object to adjectives and Participles II (used predicatively)? We find it after the following words be ignorant of etc Thank you!
15
0
You will commonly hear the phrase "ignorance is no excuse/not an excuse for..." in all walks of english speaking life , from the courtroom to the schoolyard ( from teachers about young students) to the pub . The other famous "ignorance" idiom is "ignorance is bliss"
Well, here are some examples: Sins of ignorance: choosing to be ignorant of doing what one should or should not do for a selfish reason. Bible commentary The individual may be ignorant of having committed any offence Cobbett's Parliamentary Debates ( published 1803) As you can see, this construction is very formal and old-fashioned. Forget about it.
"So, you're saying that you are ignorant of any gambling going on in your warehouse?" "I walked out the store with my friend, completely ignorant of her shoplifting." I think I would only hear/use that construction when the thing you're ignorant of is some kind of criminal activity (or at least some kind of misbehavior). If you use that phrase, you are really emphasizing that you had absolutely no knowledge of the behavior and were not involved in any way.
Do you mean sentences like: I'm addicted to playing computer games I'm fed up of going to work ? Or were you looking for specific examples with 'having done something'? e.g. He is suspected of having committed this crime He is guilty of having committed this crime He became a polio victim due to not having been vaccinated as a child. I am frustrated with having had to take time off work Symptoms associated with having had a stroke.
Past Participle
Sasha
English, French, Russian, Ukrainian