Rejane
Could you help me with this exercise? I wrote the answer in capital letter. I want to know why these are the correct answers. 2)The interviewer somehow managed TO GET / getting the politician to admit his mistake. 8) What happened when Sandra applied TO JOIN /joining the army? 9) We don't foresee to need/ NEEDING to employ anyone to replace Amy when she's on maternity leave. 10) I really wasn't expecting TO BUMP / bumping into Ken in Birmingham. 12) Please don't hesitate TO CONTACT/ contacting me if you require further information.
2
1
At some point in intermediate level, you should learn a list of common verbs that are followed by a second verb in the form of to-infinitive e.g. want, need, agree. Apart from these verbs, the rule is that most other verbs should be followed by a second verb in the -ing form. In Romance languages, this feature of the language is simpler because you only use the infinitive form of the verb as the form of the second verb. There are several units in "English Grammar in Use" (Murphy, Cambridge) on this topic.
Any verb that follows TO has to be in the infinitive, for example,...to get the politician to admit...'GET' is the infinitive verb. Without TO you can say 'Getting the politician to admit his mistake is easy.' Or, 'Wanting to fall in love is natural.'
Rejane
English, Portuguese, Spanish