Pelin
Are both sentences OK? Or, how do you say them? I forgive you despite all you've done. I forgive you despite what you did.
4 окт. 2018 г., 22:50
3
0
To my ears both of these sentences are valid sentences. They have slightly different meanings though. The first one says you forgive them despite /all/ ... ( which implies multiple things that needed forgiveness) and the second one says you forgive them despite what /you did/ (which implies a single thing that needed forgiveness). I think your question is about the use of "did" versus "have done" and I think 'did' is used for an action that has happened and is complete, and 'have done' for action or actions that have recently completed.
4 октября 2018 г.
Hi, Sinem! You could say, "I forgive you despite/in spite of everything you've done." The second sentence is correct. :)
4 октября 2018 г.
I am absolutely not a teacher, but one of the main problem of the english language for me is to decide when to use the simple past and when the participle and ivelirve that also mothertongues sometime have doubts...... well i gave me a rule: when the action or what happened is conclused like in this case I use the simple past. It can be wrong but it is stronger than me, without rules i get confused
4 октября 2018 г.
Pelin
English, Turkish