kazuma
the question about father and dad. Do you call your father "father" not "dad"? example You and your father is in your house Father, can I use your car?
4
0
古い洋画を観ていると、上流階級の子供が、父親に向かってfatherと呼びかけています。おそらく、日本語に訳すと「お父様」ではないでしょうか?
Thank you for your question! First, a correction: You and your father ARE in the house. ("are" because it is plural.) Father and Dad are interchangable in meaning, however, Dad is less formal. I do not know if that answer above from Nanren888' in New Zealand means that parents are called by their names refers to their first names. In the US, it would be extremely rare to call a parent by their first name (George or Jose). In fact, it would be viewed by many as disrespectful. Dad is more often used by the child, regardless of age. Father would be more common when introducing your parent formally as in "Professor Sandy, I would like for you to meet my father Dr. Washington." In casual conversation with friends, Dad would be used as in "My dad and I went to the movies on Saturday." Please let me know if you have any more questions. Keep up the good work!
Your two examples are actually quite different situations. In your second example, I think that very few people would use that. Using 'Father' as a name to address someone is very formal. If anything, it would be more common to use as a joke, rather than seriously. In your first example, you need a small correction: use 'are' not 'is'. 'You and your father are in your house'. That is fine, and natural. 'Father' is a normal semi-formal way to refer to that person. You can use 'dad' in that situation as well, but only informally.
Father sounds formal within a family, here. (New Zealand) My daughter, 16, calls me "Dad". It is not uncommon to call parents by their names.
kazuma
English, Japanese, Korean