mayllt
what does "regular commission"here mean? wages? Our detachment started for Camp Mills next day, but I didn't go to France after all. We passed a cold month on Long Island, marched aboard a transport with steel helmets slung at our sides and then marched off again. There wasn't any more war. I had missed the war. When I came back to Tarleton I tried to get out of the Army, but I had a regular commission and it took most of the winter. But Earl Schoen was one of the first to be demobilized. He wanted to find a good job "while the picking was good." Ailie was noncommittal, but there was an understanding between them that he'd be back.
1
0
This refers to the US Military but I am presuming that it is the same as in the UK. When WW1 and WW2 were in progress many men were called up. Those who were "Commissioned" became officers. However there were two types of commission, and those who had "Regular Commissions" signed up for a number of years, irrespective of when the war ended. The others, presumably conscripts, signed up "For the 'duration'", where 'duration' meant as long as the war lasted. If you did not have a regular commission you could expect to be demobbed shortly after the war finished, but if you held a regular commission then you had to remain in the forces until the date the regular commission ended, which could be several years. Hope this clarifies things.
mayllt