مُحَمَّدُ Mu
A promising (any profession) Let's say you are an experienced engineer, who has been in the career for 10 years at least and on an interview the interviewer said "you are a promising Engineer" The question is: According to the English language OR (English culture), Would it be offensive to you being described as "a promising engineer" after more than 10 years experience working in high profile companies? What I think is, the adjective "promising" is used, in this specific context, to predict success for a fresh graduate just starting his own career. Am I right or wrong? Thank you very much for your help!
5 ต.ค. 2018 เวลา 11:58
2
0
Yes, you're right. We use 'promising' to mean someone who is fairly inexperienced and hasn't shown their full potential yet. (this doesn't have to a a graduate). So to describe an engineer with 10 years experience is odd. I'm not sure it's "offensive", but it's certainly a bit of a strange choice. Unless, the context was about unfulfilled potential, and the prediction that the engineer would have opportunities to show their potential in future? Or perhaps a mistake by the interviewer?
5 ตุลาคม 2018
مُحَمَّدُ Mu
Arabic, English, Hebrew
English, Hebrew