Lydia
The meaning of a sentence. "They are crawling back into the sea from whence they came, ..." I'm reading the book 'How to train your dragon. It's a very interesting book but a bit hard as well at least to me. Sometimes there are some sentences a bit hard to understand, so please help with that. Thank you in advance. 『You will have to take my word for it, for the dragons are disappearing so fast they may soon become extinct. Nobody knows what is happening. They are crawling back into the sea from whence they came, leaving not a bone, not a fang, in the earth for the men of the future to remember them by.』 They are crawling back into the sea from whence they came, leaving not a bone, not a fang, in the earth for the men of the future to remember them by. Is this mean that they were born from sea and dive to the sea when they die? And then they become fossils? Or what does that mean?
5
0
The phrase "crawling cack into the sea from whence they came" as it is used here appears to be a metaphor. The dragons may not be literally crawling into an ocean, nor may they literally be from the ocean. The meaning is that the dragons are returning to where ever they came from; whether that be a sea or not. The sea just represents that place. Also, the dragons aren't leaving any traces of themselves behind.
Well it's a sort of old English. The dragons are crawling back into the sea that they came from. They are not leaving any trace on earth for future people to find. leaving no fangs ( teeth ) or bones on the earth. There will be not fossil trace of them for future people to find.
lol, for a second, I thought you were describing the sea turtle.
Lydia
English, Korean, Latin
English, Latin