Nanako
Do these sentences sound condescending? Hi everyone, Could someone kindly tell me if it sounds condescending when I say the following two sentences? Context: A friend of mine has been learning Japanese very seriously. She said she studied for 3 hours every morning and for 2 hours every night. I would like to complement and tell her that it is impressive that she is very enthusiastic about it. Can I do that using the following lines? 1:"You have a good attitude" 2:"I like your attitude." We are just good friends and it is not that I am her Japanese teacher. So if I say the sentences above( especially the first one), does it sound proudly and condescending? I want to avoid being offensive. I am sorry if my description is not very clear. Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks, Nanako
2
0
I think both of those sound very complimentary. Neither one sounds condescending.
The first sounds like a teacher commenting on a student's discipline. As a friend you would not speak using such objective language - you have neither the qualifications nor the authority to do so. The second expresses a feeling of admiration, and clearly reflects your opinion as a friend.
Nanako
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Korean