Tako
"Horns-and-whiskers" ...? Hello, I know that "paws and whiskers" stands for cats and dogs, but what about "horns-and-whiskers," what would it stand for if it is said by an old goat (a Satyre) in a fantasy novel? Would that be 'goats'? Here is the context... "His performance on the quest was brave to the point of indigestion. Horns-and-whiskers above anything we have seen in the past." Thank you
4
0
I'm not sure it specifically means anything. It could be just a mental image. However, my guess is that it is a mashup of the idea of 'a head above', and the fact that a goat's head is literally between its whiskers (beard) and its horns.
So, the performance was better than any other goat regardless of their age, that even those with the longest horns and beards, who might represent the oldest and most experienced goats, couldn't make such an achievement. Did I get it right?
The idea as Gary suggests is taller is better. How much taller, a whole head taller? Not just the horns taller, but the horns and beard taller, a whole head.
Tako
Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), English, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Turkish