Clyde
What is the real meaning of the sentence below? It is a wise man that never makes mistakes. A. A wise man never makes mistakes. B. Even a wise man may make mistakes. Thanks.
8 de oct de 2018 16:14
8
1
A. A wise man never makes mistakes. But I'd argue with that sentence! It's a wise man who never makes the same mistake twice, sounds more like something you'd read in a book.
8 de Octubre de 2018
It means only wise men don't make mistakes, but it's not a real expression, it's an incorrect version of a similar expression - so India and Susan are right to disagree with it!
8 de Octubre de 2018
I agree with India. Literally, it means (A). However, it's often said to someone who has made a mistake (especially if they're upset about it). The figurative meaning is that wise men do make mistakes, but they learn from them and don't repeat them.
8 de Octubre de 2018
A wise man never makes mistakes. This reminds me of a quote I always remember from Otto Von Bismarck: “’Only a fool learns from his own mistakes. The wise man learns from the mistakes of others.’”
8 de Octubre de 2018
Clyde