Sam Thomas
遇难的意思 In the sentence below are the people dead or just trapped? I saw this sentence on the news: ‘达州人行道路面塌陷两人遇难’ According to the Oxford dictionary 遇难 can either mean killed or trapped (see below) If you read this sentence without knowing the story would you assume the people were dead or trapped? Or is it unclear? How do you distinguish between the meanings? 难yùnàn verb ①(指死亡) die in a disaster ▸ 遇难船员 shipwrecked sailors ▸ 机上110人全部遇难。 All 110 people aboard the plane perished. ②(指遇到危难) face danger ▸ 遇难矿工 trapped miners
5
1
遇难 just means to "to face a calamity, difficulty or danger". It does not mean the person meets his ultimate. Depending on the context, it can be a eupemism for death. For example, 高山飞机失事, 百條人命遇难 . In your news headline, the meaning is a ambiguous. This is to catch the reader to continue reading on to find out what really had happened. The next example does not contain such meaning. 吾昔從夫子遇難於匡,In the old days, I followed Master (Confucious) and met difficulty at 匡, 今又遇難於此,Today, once more met at this place, 命也已 . Alas, this is [my] life. In ancient Chinese thought, everyone's life, there will be a series of calamities for one has to face. When overcoming all of them, then their life's goal will be reached.
遇难 -- it was a very serious accident and the victim was dead. 遇险 -- there was an accident and the victim was in danger. The victim maybe trapped or maybe injured. In Chinese culture, we try to avoid using the word "dead" in most situation, because it is very sad and not appropiate.
killed
So unfortunately they did die. I suppose it's like saying two people fell victim to the cave in. http://www.xinhuanet.com/local/2018-10/08/c_1123529591.htm
To be honest, I don't know. I've never really thought about it until you mentioned it. I think it would be best if a native could answer this question. The dictionary is right, and so is Jeff, it could mean both. But I would assume that those victims were dead. That is just my personal opinion. You're sharp, good catch.
Sam Thomas
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, German
Chinese (Mandarin), French, German