Fanfam
There is or there are Hi everyone, thanks for concerning. I know when using There is and there are but how can I use them in below case? plz show me ty! In my house, there is a chair, table and 2 TVs.. or In my house there are a chair, table and 2 TVs Moreover Am I right when I write " my house has a big room " or " there is a big room in my house" Thanks again
4
0
There's a bed, a table and 2 chairs, or There are 2 chairs, a bed and a table. (as Gohar said) Actually both sentences about the house seem a little unnatural. I think if you say 1, it's better: There's 1 big room in my house, or.. My house has 1 big room (=the other rooms are not very big)
"there are" is used when the quantity right next to it is plural. There are two men and a dog in that street. same goes for "there is" when the quantity right after is a singular: There is a dog and two men in that street. you can't say: "in my house there are a chair" because chair is a singular. You will have to say "in my house there are chairs*" there is a big room in my house and my house has a big room are both correct sentences.
But u can also say : " my house has a big room ", it isn't a mistake
In both cases u must use there is
Fanfam
English, Vietnamese