Tang Hsi
pursue=attain? In Mandarian, those two words have the same meanings,but I googled and can't find English expression saying they are the same. Hope some native speakers could do me a favor. Thank you very much![emoji]
7
0
To pursue means to follow, to chase or to seek, like steps on a journey. To attain means to gain, to achieve or to succeed, like the destination of a journey. These two words have different meanings in English. If you pursue something, you might attain it, but it is not a certainty. Hope this helps
Naomi is right. You can pursue something without attaining it (for example, you can pursue wealth but never succeed in getting rich). Or, you can attain something without pursuing it (for example, you may attain wealth by inheriting money, even though you never tried to get rich). An old Bob Marley song illustrates the difference: “Until that day/The dream of lasting peace/. . ./Shall remain but a fleeting illusion/To be pursued, but never attained.”
Pursue = make effort to attain
I would say that "to pursue" is to put in effort to attain something. For example, you would say "I am pursuing my dreams." when talking about actively trying to obtain your end goals. I hope this helped!
I saw something..."pursue 追求" and "attain 追求". That's why I made a question here. [emoji][emoji]
Tang Hsi