Community Web Version Now Available
What do you call dorm rooms in the UK? I have done my research and found that it is called "hall of residence", but what do you call the rooms itself? For example: - A student bought a heater to use it his dorm room. How do you say this utterance in the UK? Do you say: - A student bought a heater to use it his hall of residence's room. (I find it too weird!)
Oct 10, 2018 9:39 AM
Answers · 4
I went to a funny university where we live in college rather than a hall of residence, but either way we would just get a heater for our room. In British English a 'dormitory' or 'dorm' is a bedroom shared by many people, and we don't have those at university.
October 10, 2018
we don't really have a specific word for the actual room, but we say "in halls" For example - Where are you going to live next year? "In halls" in your example- " he bought a heater to use in his room in halls" (Disclaimer- I went to university in the UK nearly 20 years ago, and that's what we said then, maybe a younger person might answer this question differently!)
October 10, 2018
Language Skills
Arabic, English, Italian, Spanish, Turkish
Learning Language
English, Turkish