Cailean T. Seoilidh
"Por" and "para" differences between PT-BR and PT-EU I heard that there was a difference in how they were used in the two respective dialects, but I don't know what those differences are much less when I'm supposed to use one or the other. Can anyone explain this to me please? Muito obrigado com antecedência!
5
0
I never heard that was a difference on the usage of "por" e "para" in PT-BR e PT-PT. Your question intrigued me. Now I look forward to getting an answer too. :)
The full answer is difficult to explain. por is always used with time. if I am physical giving someone or if someone is reciving what I am saying you you use para or "pra" which is the popular spoken form of para. parabéns par você = Happy Birthday to you. if I do somthing on your behalf I belive to use por "for the" or "por o" becomes pelo "for the" or "por a" becomes pela "to the" can become "ao" or "á" depending on the word around it. nos vomos ao cinema a gente via pra cinema The second sentence means the same thing but is conjugated differently and is a bit less formal (a gente means also means "we"). This is what I can think of now but I'm sure I left something out.
PT-BR is from Brazil. (if u are learn Portuguese) PT-EU is used on some places like Portugal, Angola, Cabo Verde, Macau. Better known as Spanish... (PT-Europe) Português or in english Portuguese: Para ---> finalidade, direção Por ---> causa, instrumento, opção Good luck!
Portugal has got 10 "dialects" and a different similar language (aragonês). Brazil has got 16 "dialects"... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_dialects Let us speak about some average tendencies... In average, we may say that Brazilians have more tendency to use "para" than "a" when they are almost interchangeable because the change of meaning is not essential. In average, we may say that Brazilians have more tendency to use "para" than "por" when they are almost interchangeable because the change of meaning is not essential. For example, in England, some people may say more "good bye" than "see you", and other people more "see you" than "good bye". This is a question of habit and not meaning. A similar thing happens to "por" and "para". "Eu fiz isto por ti"= I have done this in your behalf, or I have done this because of you, or I have done this instead of you. "Eu fiz isto para ti"= I have done this so that the benefit (normally) goes for you. In many situations, when we do an action, all aspects are involved. Tradition and culture make people use one word more than another. This does not mean that the meanings of the words are different for each kind of people. This happens because the people's culture points out one aspect more than the other.
The difference is the same as American English and British english .. We use some different words and the accent is different as well.
Cailean T. Seoilidh
English, Gaelic (Scottish), Portuguese, Spanish
Gaelic (Scottish), Portuguese, Spanish