Alisa Morgunova
Some words from a film So, I recently watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. In the middle of the film Willy Wonka, one of main characters, said "Where is fancy bred, in a heart or in a head?". Any of dictionaries didn't help me to get it totally. So what does it mean? I'm sure many of natives here watched this movie :)
9
0
Great question Alisa! "Where is fancy bred? In the heart or in the head" is from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory but it is also from Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. Here fancy means the things we want or what we desire. So he is asking "Where do the things we want come from? Our heart or our head?" Hope that helps!
This quote uses the word "fancy" to mean imagination or fantasy. "Bred" is the past tense of "to breed," as in to reproduce. Another way to say it is, "Where do the ideas that we imagine begin? Do they come from the heart, or from the head?"
Hi, I'm learning English too, but I think that I know the meaning of this sentence. I believe that the sentence also could be written this way: "Where fantasy is created in a heart or in a head?" Hope I have helped you.
Alisa Morgunova
Belarusian, English, Polish, Russian