Jace
What's the difference between 하면 돼요 and 해도 돼요?
2
1
-면 signifies a condition, like "if", while -도 is like "as well / that too" or "even if". The exact nuance is hard to explain. - 하면 돼요 = If you do it, it will do/work/be good => You can go ahead and do it (simple forward logic). - 해도 돼요 = Even if you do it, it's okay/not a problem => You're allowed to do it (includes a sense of permission). -면 is thus straightforward cause and effect, whereas -도 focuses on being inclusive of the case, like "That ALSO is okay/permitted (in addition to others that are okay)". For example, if you were stopped by a security guard and you think it's okay to go now, you might say: - (이제) 가도 돼요? = Am I allowed to go (now)? (cautious) - (이제) 가면 돼요? = Should/Do I go (now)? (more straightforward and aggressive) If you're asking someone whether you can visit them now (i.e. if they are ready for you), you'd say: - 지금 가면 돼요? = Shall/Do I come now? (straight asking) - 지금 가도 돼요? = Are you okay if I come now? (more thoughtful about the their situation) The difference in these examples are not so big though. You can say either with more or less similar effect.
Jace
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Korean, Latin, Spanish, Vietnamese
Chinese (Mandarin), Korean, Latin, Vietnamese